Monday, October 11, 2010

Protected Speech

Freedom of speech is a privilege that we, as American citizens, can enjoy. 95-99% of the time there is no negative consequence as to what we say or who we say it to, but it's those few occurrences that can get us in trouble. Technically, we can be arrested for what we say. Hate crimes, sexual harassment, and verbal abuse are three prime examples of crimes having to do with speech. Words become bad and even criminal when they hurt others. I agree with these laws, but at times I feel that they are too touchy and sensitive. Not to mention they are manipulated by lawyers and attorneys to sway juries all over the country.

I'm hoping you're wondering as to why I said freedom of speech is a privilege, not a right. Rights do not exist. Humans made 'em up. When the first humans walked the earth, they could do whatever they wanted. Of course, this didn't work out too well and rights were invented by someone at some point in time. Don't get me wrong, I love my "rights", but they're not real.The thing that makes rights nonexistent is the idea of permanency, that no one can take away or remove rights. Alas, this is wrong as well. The Declaration of Independence states that men have "certain unalienable rights," meaning that they cannot be taken away. But rights can be given, as proved by our 27 or so amendments.

 So rights can be given, but not taken away. So what happens when I tell my brother: "I give you the right to take away my rights." Are they still unalienable rights? Doesn't seem right to me. Disregarding that perfectly logical argument, rights can be and have been taken away before. The President can remove our rights at the push of a button in a time of war, or, if he gets enough support, he can turn into a Stalin or Lennin or Mao Zedong or Kim Jong Il or any of those other dictators who methodically restrict the abilities of their citizens to protect their power. Which brings up another thing, are rights the same everywhere you go? But that's for another day. If you don't believe me about the taking away of rights, google any of those names or Japanese Americans 1942.

No comments:

Post a Comment